by Dr. Sayegh
Thirty years ago, a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree was considered a Golden Ticket to business career advancement. Fortune 500 corporations would snatch up MBA graduates before the ink on their diplomas was even dry, rewarded with glittering six-figure salaries, and lavished with luxurious perks in the hopes their freshly minted business acumen would provide their sponsors with cutting-edge ideas and a valuable competitive edge.
But as Economics 101 teaches us, high demand tends to generate a corresponding high supply and, today, MBAs are about as common as four-year degrees were in 1975, or high school diplomas were in 1940. Distinguishing yourself from your competition now requires an even greater investment in professional education and training. For people seeking an executive career with our nation’s leading companies, a Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) is the new golden ticket.
DBA degrees are designed for people who have already earned a master’s degree and wish to further develop their knowledge and professional skills. DBA students hone their leadership skills and problem-solving abilities while delving even deeper into business and management theory and applied research.
Five Benefits of a DBA
Although the number of benefits a DBA can bestow may be as many and as varied as the people who earn them, there are five main reasons most experienced business managers choose to invest the time and resources necessary to obtain this new credential. They are:
- Greater Differentiation. As noted above, MBA inflation has diluted the value of this once-coveted degree. A DBA helps separate you from the pack and can be your key differentiator when competing with other business professionals for the same executive slot.
- More Career Opportunities. Your expanded credentials can open more doors for advancement, be they positions at new companies or promotions within the company where you currently work. In either case, the more value you can bring to a company, the greater the likely demand for your services.
- Greater Remuneration. Your perceived superior expertise and value can translate into more lucrative employment packages, including higher salaries, more generous benefits, and other rewards. For many people, a DBA degree can pay for itself in just a few years.
- More Interesting Challenges. Leadership positions bring with them challenges and stimulation available only to those who make it to the highest echelons. Having a DBA degree can put you in a position where you can work to your full potential and change the world in ways only a top business leader can.
- Greater Status. A DBA degree can bring you greater respect, both personally and professionally, than you have ever before enjoyed. You may also enjoy greater self-respect, secure in the knowledge that you have attained a level of professional training few others have achieved.
Earn Your DBA at Westcliff University in Irvine or Online
If you’re interested in raising your professional status with a DBA, consider earning your Doctor of Business Administration degree online from Westcliff University (WU) or at the school campus located in Irvine, Calif. Westcliff is a private university that specializes in business and education degrees for working professionals. The WU DBA program emphasizes advanced decision-making and leadership skills as well as in-depth knowledge of theory and applied research. Students have the opportunity to explore challenges facing business today, including corporate social responsibility, globalization, and managing change.
Because most of its students are currently employed, Westcliff offers DBA degree education programs in hybrid and 100 percent online formats. Course formats and assignment deadlines are designed for convenience so that you may fit your education into your daily schedule with ease. Apply the new concepts and skills you learn directly to your current job even as you work toward your DBA degree.
To learn more about how you can increase your professional value with a DBA from Westcliff University, fill out the Contact Us form on this page. A friendly Westcliff representative will contact you immediately to discuss your goals and answer your questions.
Westcliff University is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency. DEAC satisfies precisely the same recognition standards as regional accreditors.
Although the number of benefits a DBA can bestow may be as many and as varied as the people who earn them, there are five main reasons most experienced business managers choose to invest the time and resources necessary to obtain this new credential.